Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why I hate sports..or my dislike of the Stanley Cup Finals

Growing up, I watched a lot of ESPN. During family gatherings I would sit in my grandparent's bedroom and watch TV. I watched everything, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I would pretend I was Chick Hearn, and do play by play of recess basketball games.

As a teenager, I wasn't allowed to watch MTV, so I watched sports.  When I was in high school, I had wanted  to become a sports writer.  I also developed my love for hockey.  I started following the Anaheim (mighty)Ducks, and soon became an obsessed fan.

I lost my passion in or around 2007, when the Ducks won the Cup.  I think that was more of less due to my ex, and also because I felt like I was growing out of that phase of my life.

This year, I didn't watch many games, but I did follow online, I interact with other fans on twitter, and I do sometimes have a desire to go and see a game in person.  Two teams that I have some ties to, and also loathe are in the Finals.

Los Angeles Kings

Ah, the older, and grumpier cousin team. In forty five years, they've made the finals twice.  (We did it in less than 20)  Their fans are loud, rude and for the most part, ignorant.  There are nice King fans, and there are idiot Duck fans, but they are in the minority.  I really have no problem with this team, and I am somewhat partial to them.

New Jersey Devils

Ah, my ex-boyfriend team. The team I used to follow back in the 90's, had my heart broken in '03, but still held on.  The ex got them in the divorce, and I moved some of my allegiance to the rival Rangers, and  down to Carolina.  Much like the Kings, I have no problem with the team themselves, just those fans that ruin things for everyone else.

Who to root for?

Nobody, but it looks like LA is going to win it all. Good for them, but remember you came in second to the team created from a child's movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment